So… Like I said in the last post, it’s time we stop ignoring our cognitive health, we should take that extra effort to also keep our minds working sharp and alert from now till old age.
Let me quickly talk about them as I have been asked what they are, very brief though, check out the website for more lengthy info from global researchers as we don’t have access to that here. The 6 Thumbs “Up” are:
- Mental Stimulation: we tend to relax on learning after we leave school and only focus on things related to our work or careers. We focus on Carrera related knowledge until it becomes a routine and no more challenging… A one way show, boring… . It’s time to change that, let’s do something totally different, learn a new language, write with the other hand, walk around the house with the eyes closed, etc…. Anything that’s novel and will excite those neurons of yours.
- Nutrition: we have an issue with this here in Nigeria. Mainly due to low income and poverty but the good news is we don’t need to eat exported foods to get the mental push we need. Our foods are budget friendly and very nutritious. From the common ewedu, okro, ugwu, and other veggies to the superfood baobab that’s sold at expensive rates on the international market. Yes, we will bring in some but it’s not compulsory…. We have healthy foods here….. As long as they haven’t been poisoned by Monsanto and the government. Monsanto has been allowed to infiltrate our pure indigent farmers with GMO solutions and chemical products.
- Spirituality: this is key to our happiness and mental satisfaction on attitudes towards life and daily living. We need to connect strongly with our Maker because He is the Maker and knows us more than we know ourselves. This life isn’t difficult when we follow His rules…. We can really and actually be happy, no matter the situation.
- Sleep: even I am still working on this one. With the way jobs are nowadays, people don’t get the 8hrs required for optimal body rest. And it’s during sleep that the brain cleans itself out so why deprive it? Let’s keep working on our sleep time and make the effort to keep to going to bed early and waking early enough – even our moods will improve.
- Physical fitness: everybody needs exercise. We can’t not get our bodies to fix the joints and muscles. Whether it is jogging, walking, aerobics or carrying a bucket of water from one place to the other, we must not keep our bodies idle. This is especially true of white collar job workers who sit all day on the same chair and still end up sleeping late and waking up early to do the same office job.
- Socialization: humans are social beings, we can’t live in isolation for long periods. Yes, we need that time out once in a while to meditate and move far away from the hustle and bustle of city life. But…. A big but is that sense of helping someone, giving comfort, just talking, laughing, sharing time with others, all these improves both our psychological and physical well-being.
Now that you know our 6 Thumbs “Ups”, I hope you will put in more effort to improve on each one as I am trying to do. It’s really not easy, especially if you already have a crazy routine but it’s doable. Stick to it…and you will get the desired results.
And by the way, keep checking us out on the blog. We have lots of things planned. #naijacognitivehealthblogger.